wiki:BoardMinutesJanuary2014

Version 1 (modified by rgb, 3 months ago) (diff)

Raw irc log

OCLUG board meeting 2014-01-29, 19:30

log: /home/rgb/.weechat/logs/irc.oftc.#oclug-board.weechatlog

2014-01-29 17:43:32 --> ASW (~aaron@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 17:43:37 <-- ASW (~aaron@…) has left #oclug-board 2014-01-29 19:27:22 --> scott5 (~scott5@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 19:35:18 scott5 Hi Richard, hoping the other two connect soon. 2014-01-29 19:35:38 --> ASW (~aaron@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 19:35:53 scott5 Hi Aaron 2014-01-29 19:36:59 ASW Just got your email 2014-01-29 19:37:31 ASW Did I miss a confirmation email that we were actually having an IRC meeting tonight? 2014-01-29 19:38:25 scott5 no, I didn't send one. I dropped the ball on that one. 2014-01-29 19:39:27 scott5 I foolishly thought I'd get a summary on the talks and use that as a reminder :P 2014-01-29 19:41:31 scott5 Hopefully RGB and igor connect/wake up shortly 2014-01-29 19:42:41 scott5 We did sign the hosting fee cheque for RGB at the January meeting right? I seem to remember signing something like a cheque (or was that in December?) 2014-01-29 19:43:50 ASW I gave him two cheques 2014-01-29 19:44:35 scott5 yes... he didn't want the second one IIRC? 2014-01-29 19:44:41 ASW One for 2013 and one for 2014 2014-01-29 19:44:47 scott5 but he took it anyway right? 2014-01-29 19:45:06 scott5 I'm happy to be on top of this for a change. 2014-01-29 19:45:20 ASW I remember that he would have preferred to have the 2014 one post-dated 2014-01-29 19:45:30 scott5 that was it. 2014-01-29 19:45:55 ASW I think it was for tax purposes (2013 vs 2014 tax year) 2014-01-29 19:46:18 scott5 that makes sense. 2014-01-29 19:49:06 ASW I just sent an email back to Ian, he was asking how to connect 2014-01-29 19:49:13 scott5 Did you happen to have an idea for a presentation as well? Just so we have one in the wings for March? I have an idea for one, but I don't know if I'll have time to get it ready t 2014-01-29 19:49:31 scott5 I saw that. I'm hoping he hasn't forgotten what client he used. 2014-01-29 19:50:32 scott5 I just sent one as well, mentioning pidgin as the client 2014-01-29 19:51:23 ASW I've got something that I started working on in 2009 2014-01-29 19:51:40 scott5 cool. 2014-01-29 19:52:09 ASW trying to tweak the source code for a device driver so it would support an OEM version of the hardware 2014-01-29 19:52:24 ASW Mostly me clumsily poking around 2014-01-29 19:52:34 scott5 Hey, that is hacking at its finest 2014-01-29 19:53:18 ASW I got it to compile, but needed to figure out how to write a proper udev rule file for it 2014-01-29 19:53:35 scott5 probably make a real good talk. 2014-01-29 19:54:03 ASW What eventually stopped me was no longer having the time at work to finish it 2014-01-29 19:54:10 scott5 heh 2014-01-29 19:54:58 scott5 Since my job is coming to an end, all of a sudden, I'm busy as anything. It's amazing how much work they decide to get you to do when there is a deadline looming in the near future. 2014-01-29 19:56:00 scott5 We only need three people for a quorum right? Just in case we only get one more participant. 2014-01-29 19:57:26 ASW Yes, majority rules 2014-01-29 19:58:04 scott5 OK, so all we need is one more to join :) 2014-01-29 19:58:32 ASW RGB's logged in, but I guess he's not actually in front of the computer 2014-01-29 19:58:57 scott5 seems that way. The good news is that he can still see what we talked about and do the minutes 2014-01-29 20:05:42 ASW I finally got around to trying to get online access to the records for the bank account. Mike said that he gave the info to Rob, and I sent Rob an email about it a little while ago 2014-01-29 20:06:33 scott5 that's funny... I sent an email to Rob earlier as part of my action items from the last meeting. 2014-01-29 20:06:52 scott5 If we didn't have action items and meetings, nothing would ever get done 2014-01-29 20:07:19 ASW If its not written down, it doesn't exist :-) 2014-01-29 20:19:28 scott5 still trying to get igor online. I sent an email asking him to open a chat session with me, but that doesn't seem to be happening quickly either. 2014-01-29 20:20:14 wardi http://webchat.oftc.net/?channels=#oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:20:31 wardi SunRaycer? 2014-01-29 20:21:02 --> ASW_ (~oftc-webi@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:21:11 scott5 hmm, didn't know we had that :) 2014-01-29 20:21:22 <-- ASW_ (~oftc-webi@…) has left #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:22:07 --> iegorman (~oftc-webi@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:22:23 scott5 Hi IanG 2014-01-29 20:22:53 scott5 Thanks ward for the web chat info. 2014-01-29 20:24:12 scott5 now we need Aaron again 2014-01-29 20:24:33 ASW Still here... 2014-01-29 20:25:52 ASW Stuck my nose in through the web chat for a moment 2014-01-29 20:27:01 scott5 did it work well? I was going to try it out 2014-01-29 20:27:39 ASW Didn't do much more than log in 2014-01-29 20:28:01 --> iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:28:02 ASW closed it when I saw myself logging in a second time in Pidgin 2014-01-29 20:28:17 --> scott5-webtest (~oftc-webi@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:28:23 scott5-webtest seems to work 2014-01-29 20:28:51 scott5 igorman: did you type at the bottom of the screen like in a standard irc window? 2014-01-29 20:29:18 <-- scott5-webtest (~oftc-webi@…) has left #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:31:39 <-- iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@…) has left #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:31:59 ASW OK, who's actually present right now? 2014-01-29 20:32:34 scott5 I am 2014-01-29 20:32:43 --> iegorman_ (~oftc-webi@…) has joined #oclug-board 2014-01-29 20:33:00 iegorman_ iegorman 2014-01-29 20:33:06 scott5 hopefully igorman is as well and can type 2014-01-29 20:33:11 scott5 yes 2014-01-29 20:33:12 iegorman_ is this coming through? 2014-01-29 20:33:16 scott5 OK, we have quorum 2014-01-29 20:33:37 scott5 so call to order (or as ordered as we get?) 2014-01-29 20:33:46 ASW OK 2014-01-29 20:33:58 scott5 Have you looked over the minutes from November? 2014-01-29 20:34:10 ASW was just going through them now 2014-01-29 20:34:11 iegorman_ diorderly is better than disorganized 2014-01-29 20:34:32 scott5 http://wiki.oclug.on.ca/wiki/BoardMinutesNovember2013 for those who need it 2014-01-29 20:35:45 iegorman_ minutes look OK to me 2014-01-29 20:35:49 ASW Yes 2014-01-29 20:36:15 scott5 motion to approve the minutes from Nov 2013? 2014-01-29 20:36:24 ASW seconded 2014-01-29 20:36:56 scott5 approved 2014-01-29 20:37:47 scott5 I had nothing new for tonight, I was only interested in going over the action items to make sure we had some progress. 2014-01-29 20:38:09 scott5 So I'll go over the items I had... 2014-01-29 20:38:12 ASW I don't have anything new 2014-01-29 20:38:45 scott5 No traction on the UGC site yet, haven't had the time to dig into it and I'm still a python/django newbie 2014-01-29 20:40:21 ASW you could fit my knowledge into a small teacup, without drinking the tea first 2014-01-29 20:40:52 scott5 I am not sure if I renewed the UGC domain yet, but if not it will be renewed before the next meeting. A quick check shows that it was updated in December and expires in January 2015, so it looks like I took care of it while I was doing other domains 2014-01-29 20:41:32 scott5 I forgot to ask about accessibility at shopify. Did you ask IanG? 2014-01-29 20:41:58 ASW They're relocating in a few months, so it may not be a priority for them 2014-01-29 20:42:19 scott5 Where are they moving to? 2014-01-29 20:42:29 wardi their new place is a brand new building, so it should be accessible 2014-01-29 20:42:50 iegorman_ We didn't assign accessibility, but I could check - just net to find out where Shopify is going 2014-01-29 20:43:46 iegorman_ Ground level access (no kerbs) and elevators will do it 2014-01-29 20:44:08 scott5 both of our names were on it in the minutes, that was why I asked. Seems to be a moot point, like the next item that I had 2014-01-29 20:44:52 scott5 I was supposed to talk to Cody, but he resigned as per the email sent earlier. He sent it to the board mailing list Nov 30. 2014-01-29 20:45:16 scott5 That leaves a few empty slots and we have an AGM/election coming up 2014-01-29 20:45:21 ASW Just did some Google searches, looks like Shopify's moving to 150 Elgin ST. 2014-01-29 20:46:07 scott5 Interesting... is that where Fridays used to be? 2014-01-29 20:46:12 ASW Looks like it 2014-01-29 20:47:07 ASW I've forgotten where I read it, but I think the new place will have a larger meeting area 2014-01-29 20:47:13 scott5 Parking may be an issue, hopefully there is a reasonable lot nearby. There was one behind the old building, but I haven't been down that way in a while to look. 2014-01-29 20:47:32 scott5 hopefully it will not have the AC over the speakers platform 2014-01-29 20:48:57 scott5 I did mention the vacancies on the board at the December meeting, but not really at the January one, as we were just sitting around chatting. I'll mention the AGM/election at the beginning 2014-01-29 20:49:10 ASW There's a parking garage at Bell Canada Place 2014-01-29 20:49:18 scott5 are you two going to volunteer to stay on? 2014-01-29 20:49:47 ASW I'll stick on another year if required 2014-01-29 20:49:59 iegorman_ I can stay on 2014-01-29 20:50:40 scott5 Nice.. I'm planning on sticking around for another stint unless someone else wants the job. 2014-01-29 20:51:25 scott5 well, that get us three of five, I suspect RGB will stay on unless that Africa thing happens. I was hoping to get an update on that 2014-01-29 20:52:22 ASW Getting the word out early should help attract some other volunteers 2014-01-29 20:52:58 scott5 I had one other item to do, and I just sent an email to Rob today regarding the contacts for UGC. Hopefully he still has all of the info he collected. 2014-01-29 20:53:15 ASW We should also publicize the location on the Wiki where you can put your name down for the election 2014-01-29 20:53:45 scott5 It will be in the mailing list, the announcement on the website and on the meet up page, so that should be good fro something. 2014-01-29 20:54:00 iegorman_ I may have some contact info for UGC 2014-01-29 20:55:16 scott5 it was more of the cleaning/security/other management portions I was hoping to get. We have a list of participants, so that is a good basis for starting out. 2014-01-29 20:56:16 iegorman_ security was commissionaires - Rob found them much better than the other alternatives 2014-01-29 20:56:33 scott5 looking back at the list, we took care of the cheques to RGB, I did a slide generation talk and IanG did his regex talk 2014-01-29 20:57:22 ASW I'm currently tracking down the log in information for the bank account. According to Mike, Rob's got it now. 2014-01-29 20:58:09 scott5 I know IanG has been getting to the monthly meetings by 18:00, as I've been managing to get there for then as well. 2014-01-29 20:59:08 scott5 I need to send ASW the receipt for the UGC domain. I think there was another one I had registered as well, linux-ottawa I think to something like that I need to look back through me emails 2014-01-29 21:00:08 scott5 The meet up account had to be renewed. RGB took care of it I believe. I have to log in and see if it was both or just L3GO 2014-01-29 21:00:28 ASW I've been paying for linux-ottawa.org 2014-01-29 21:01:07 scott5 then there must be another one I registered. I'll check and sent it to you 2014-01-29 21:01:18 scott5 it completely slips my mind what it was called 2014-01-29 21:02:26 iegorman_ I think you could have three meetups off one account - maybe finding one will find the other two 2014-01-29 21:04:23 scott5 we have linux-ottawa.ca 2014-01-29 21:04:45 scott5 I just found the email. 2014-01-29 21:05:14 scott5 I'll make sure it redirects to OCLUG 2014-01-29 21:06:07 ASW linux-ottawa.org doesn't go anywhere at the moment 2014-01-29 21:06:48 scott5 we should redirect that as well 2014-01-29 21:07:35 scott5 we have speakers for next week, so that is good. I still don't have descriptions, so I'll make it up :D 2014-01-29 21:08:26 scott5 since we can't ask RGB anything, those are outstanding status updates. 2014-01-29 21:08:47 scott5 we had two carry over items from the past... 2014-01-29 21:08:56 scott5 hosting fee which has been taken care of 2014-01-29 21:10:11 scott5 and the original panic books, which I think I said we'd maintain as an electronic document and make sure we all had copies. I haven't really gotten to it yet, but that is on my todo list to get completed before the AGM 2014-01-29 21:11:24 * SunRaycer? remembers the meeting, now that the kids are in bed... 2014-01-29 21:12:06 scott5 I think I can document most of the system, with the web services being the outstanding part. Hopefully I can get up to speed on the web portion (via UGC first) and document the OCLUG bits. 2014-01-29 21:12:14 scott5 LOL 2014-01-29 21:12:21 scott5 welcome aboard! 2014-01-29 21:12:27 scott5 at least you have the full history 2014-01-29 21:12:44 iegorman_ Scott, would I be able to help on the documentation? 2014-01-29 21:12:57 scott5 of course you can 2014-01-29 21:13:08 wardi scott5: happy to help with the django site 2014-01-29 21:13:29 scott5 excellent. I'm willing to accept all help I can get. 2014-01-29 21:13:40 wardi scott5: was planning to move it all to git, because I've almost completely forgotten how to use svn 2014-01-29 21:14:08 scott5 that is fine by me. I want to get up to speed with git anyway. I have yet to use it beyond cloning something to compile 2014-01-29 21:14:44 iegorman_ I like git, let's git going! 2014-01-29 21:14:44 wardi I did already convert the history and put a version up on https://github.com/wardi/django-user-group 2014-01-29 21:15:04 wardi but that's probably a few minor commits behind 2014-01-29 21:15:30 scott5 wonderful 2014-01-29 21:15:49 SunRaycer? I have a statement from alternabank that came to mcr's address (as expected) but still addressed to mike 2014-01-29 21:16:44 ASW If MCR's got a stack of those kicking around I'll take them off his hands 2014-01-29 21:18:39 SunRaycer? Friday's closed? 2014-01-29 21:19:24 scott5 I think the only items left to ask about are the government compliance form and the possible speakers. How are we doing there? 2014-01-29 21:19:29 ASW I think they re-opened somewhere else, but the old building across from the court house is an office tower now 2014-01-29 21:19:48 scott5 At least a year ago I think 2014-01-29 21:20:23 SunRaycer? I have no overseas posting update other than carole's management experience is likely to land her a management job overseas, likely kenya, if it happens at all (which appears more likely because of that.) 2014-01-29 21:20:26 iegorman_ Google Street View still shows the old building 2014-01-29 21:21:17 ASW http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Rising+Ottawa+office+vacancies+pressure+rents+report/9360226/story.html 2014-01-29 21:22:07 scott5 that was a convoluted statement.. If I read it correctly, it looks likely? 2014-01-29 21:22:21 ASW That's Bell Canada Place in the background of the photograph. 2014-01-29 21:23:32 SunRaycer? git rocks 2014-01-29 21:24:11 iegorman_ Looks like the new Shopify will be accessible 2014-01-29 21:24:18 SunRaycer? mcr has been handing me oclug stuff when we meet once or twice a week at credil. 2014-01-29 21:25:08 SunRaycer? i admit I've done nothing about the govt forms, but they're certainly on my mind. 2014-01-29 21:25:48 SunRaycer? and I've heard through another non-profit that the non-profit rules are changing, so that may be a bit of work. 2014-01-29 21:26:07 SunRaycer? enough so that some have opted to liquidize... 2014-01-29 21:26:25 scott5 great.. more useless paperwork 2014-01-29 21:27:22 scott5 well, i guess not useless to the government 2014-01-29 21:27:58 scott5 however, we need to find out how that is going to affect us. Might be a topic for the AGM. 2014-01-29 21:31:11 scott5 i think that pretty much covers the list. Do we have anything else? 2014-01-29 21:31:28 ASW Nothing here 2014-01-29 21:36:36 SunRaycer? I'll talk more to the EVCO folks and find out what's involved. it may be so serious as to consider officially dissolving and donating account balance to a suitable org. 2014-01-29 21:38:08 scott5 We don't exactly have a lot of expenses, so that wouldn't really hurt us. 2014-01-29 21:38:43 scott5 I guess we will find out what it means soon enough 2014-01-29 21:40:07 SunRaycer? bank statement (I just openned) says balance is $5792.49 2014-01-29 21:42:00 ASW $6193.08 - $400 = $5793.08 2014-01-29 21:42:37 ASW There's probably a service fee in there somewhere 2014-01-29 21:42:51 scott5 yes, very little in the way of expenses :) 2014-01-29 21:44:53 ASW Any other business? 2014-01-29 21:45:17 scott5 We have a few items to take care of, but it looks like we are keeping up with the list. Want to set the date for the next meeting? 2014-01-29 21:46:01 scott5 Feb 26 looks like the correct day to me 2014-01-29 21:46:53 ASW Looks good to me 2014-01-29 21:47:16 scott5 in person or via IRC? 2014-01-29 21:47:28 iegorman_ Wed Feb 26 19:30? 2014-01-29 21:47:45 scott5 yes, 2014/02/26 - 19:30 2014-01-29 21:47:46 iegorman_ either way OK with me 2014-01-29 21:48:45 SunRaycer? date is fine with me. welcome here if we want. 2014-01-29 21:49:23 scott5 OK, assuming good weather, in person, bad weather (stormy that is) via IRC 2014-01-29 21:52:06 scott5 motion to close? 2014-01-29 21:52:26 ASW seconded 2014-01-29 21:52:31 iegorman_ OK 2014-01-29 21:52:42 scott5 closed. See you all next Wednesday at Shopify 2014-01-29 21:52:53 iegorman_ OK 2014-01-29 21:52:54 SunRaycer? wed? not thurs? 2014-01-29 21:52:55 scott5 remember, not Thursday next month 2014-01-29 21:52:58 SunRaycer? ok 2014-01-29 21:53:02 scott5 conflice 2014-01-29 21:53:08 scott5 er conflict 2014-01-29 21:53:27 scott5 shopify offered the space to some entertainment group for something. 2014-01-29 21:53:52 scott5 I put the changed date on the website last month 2014-01-29 21:54:26 scott5 Do you have a short description of your GPG talk or should I just wing it? 2014-01-29 21:55:08 <-- ASW (~aaron@…) has left #oclug-board 2014-01-29 22:09:19 SunRaycer? scott5: I have slides already somewhat written out, updated from 12 years ago... 2014-01-29 22:28:45 <-- iegorman (~oftc-webi@…) has left #oclug-board