wiki:BoardMinutesMay2013

Version 1 (modified by rgb, 16 months ago) (diff)

May 2013 meeting minutes

OCLUG Board meeting

Date: 2013-05-28, 20:00 Location: RGB's house

Agenda

  • Committes
    • User Group Connect
    • Volunteers
    • L3GO
  • Servers
  • Finance Report
  • AGM, Election, Membership lists
  • Update board of directors with Govt. of Ont.
  • Other Business
  • Improving meetings
    • Presenter experience
    • Newcomers's experience
    • Meeting format review

Attendance

  • Richard Guy Briggs
  • Rob Echlin
  • Scott Murphy
  • Aaron Wilcox
  • Cody Somerville

Regrets

  • Ian Gorman
  • Mike Kenzie

Committees

  • Volunteers
    • Meeting 18:00 on May 2nd @Shopify.
    • 4-5 people showed.
    • It needs active promotion.
  • User Group Connect
    • Outstanding account to settle with Scott. Scott insists on waiving it.
    • Outstanding invoices paid for Rob, Commissionaires, cleaners. All paid.
    • Rob will provide a report to the OCLUG board. Still pending.
    • The web site updates are still pending. Scott will take care of that.
  • L3GO
    • The last meeting happened April 13th with 6 people attending (and two kids).
    • The next meeting is June 10th at Red Pepper Thai-Viet (434 Bank@Gladstone) for 18:30.

Servers

  • Mailing lists:
    • 14, many not in use, many not visible
    • this was not fully dealt with last month, new email sent to address.
      • linux
      • oclug-board
      • photography-sig
      • linux-novice -- repurpose this list for the volunteers committee
      • mailman
      • oclug -- deprecated, 1-2 messages per month
      • oclug-announce
      • oclug-events -- merge with announce
      • oclug-test
      • oclug-www
      • oclog-www-errors -- disable, redirect to oclug-www
      • offtopic -- disable
      • ottawa-school-of-it ottawa/pythian tinkpen, mcr, rthurkal -- disable
      • sysadmin
  • Following up on the April 2012 meeting, a utilities payment is due.

Finance Report

  • Nothing to report.
  • Aaron has volunteered to be treasurer.
  • An annual financial statement is overdue to the membership.
  • We need to go in to update signatories.

Improving meetings

  • Cody's observations from the last meeting presenting:
  • Presenter experience
    • nobody there to receive and orient the speaker
    • displayport vs hdmi vs vga
    • microphone consistency, headset? mic for audience questions? shut off ventilation?
    • bring chairs much closer to hear and see them
  • Newcomers's experience
    • greeter
    • ongoing stats (headcount)
  • Meeting format review
    • more active promotion of topics
    • breakout group pre-announcements
    • use polls a week beforehand to collect and set topics
    • have topic leaders direct the discussion
    • breakout group tracks: eg. devel, user, sysadmin, ...
    • lightning talks
    • panel discussion
  • add regular board meeting item to review future meeting topics

Other Business

  • AGM:
    • Member list was updated. RGB will get it from Scott.
    • Cody volunteers to audit the letters patent and by-laws.
    • RGB will get copies of the letters patent and by-laws from MCR.

Meeting adjourned at 21:30.