Software Freedom Day
What and Why
Free/Libre? and Open Source Software -- developed by and for various communities of interested workers -- is available to everyone to use and improve. Generally also priced at $0, it is available for almost every application imagined. The Linux operating system, the Firefox browser, the OpenOffice suite, and thousands of other tools. Come and ask us about F/LOSS and why it is important to you.
From the official website:
"Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). Our goal in this celebration is to educate the worldwide public about the benefits of using high quality FOSS in education, in government, at home, and in business -- in short, everywhere! The non-profit organization Software Freedom International coordinates SFD at a global level, providing support, giveaways and a point of collaboration, but volunteer teams around the world organize the local SFD events to impact their own communities."
In celebration and promotion of this event, a plan is in the works for OCLUG to do a demonstration of FOSS and/or an installfest.
18 September, 2010 - timeframe 10:00 - 11:30 a.m., to be extended if necessary based on attendance
Umi Café (map)
610 Somerset St. West
Somerset and Percy, Ottawa
Does anyone want to add bus info??
How you can help
Here is a list of things we'll likely want/need. Please feel free to add any items/tasks I've forgotten here. If you can help with a particular item, please add your name to the volunteer list and a comment about what you can contribute. Thank you for your help!
- PUBLICITY - any kind - advertise with community calendars, etc.
- Submitted event to CBC community calendar and ottawakiosk.com - Lisa
- Spoke with Umi about posting on their website - Lisa
- Submitted event to CBC for TV coverage - John Nash
- More needed
- Print and post flyers ASAP to announce our event at various locations around town (Libraries? College/university computer labs?) There are draft documents in the attachments to this page (sfd-ottawa.odp and sfd-ottawa-2.odp).
- More needed - especially in centretown and east end.
- See list below of locations we've covered.
- Help coordinate the event (use Lisa L. and John Nash via oclug-politics list or info@… as contacts)
- Do installs/troubleshooting/or simply TALK to folk about F/LOSS and Software Freedom. It helps to keep the ideas simple. For example, a lot of folk have trouble understanding that F/LOSS is not amateur playstuff -- it's built by and for pros in different fields who don't want "amateurs" in their field, even good programmers, to mess things up. "You make money WITH free software, not FROM free software."
- Give a demonstration of a user-friendly distro, OpenOffice, GIMP, or other FOSS
- Provide penguin/gnu/OCLUG attention-getters - stuffed animals, flags, posters, etc. and a banner of some sort to attract attention and extend a clear invitation to come see what we're about
- Provide things to hand out - CDs with various distros, other FOSS like OpenOffice, printed OCLUG brochures
- Provide blank CDs or DVDs, a USB burner, and Sharpie markers
- Provide (preferably flat panel) monitor, keyboard, mouse, power cords for use in installations
- I can bring one set - Lisa
- More may be needed
- Inquire into whether Computers for Communities, the Ottawa Ubuntu Hour group, and Club Linux Gatineau would like to work together - Lisa Lovchik corresponding
- Register our event ASAP on the Software Freedom Day (SFD) website events - Lisa
- Create flyers - John Nash and Lisa
- Post flyers in and around Umi - Lisa and Nickie
- Post flyers at some other locations - Lisa
- Pinecrest.Queensway Community Centre
- Dovercourt Recreational Centre
- YMCA/YWCA on Lockhart Ave.
- Bayshore Community Centre
- Ottawa Library, Carlingwood Branch
- Hintonburg Community Centre
- Lisa Lovchik - Coordinate, bring distro CDs and stuffed Tux, install/troubleshoot. Probably other stuff as needed.
- Side note: Michael Dexter from the Linux Fund offered to send us distro CDs. I gave Michael the go-ahead, since this is time-sensitive. I also grabbed several copies of Ubuntu 10.04 today (thank you, Club Linux Gatineau!)
- John Nash - can prepare signs (single page to put on tables) and handouts. Plan to be there.
- John Gill, Ottawa Ubuntu LoCo? - Will help with installs, trouble shooting and demos